Pages

Wednesday 22 February 2012

iPads in Action!


I have struggled with how to tell the latest news about our iPad journey and I have started this post about 3 times now, but I think I need to start with some gratitude for a few people. First, I need to thank Rosamar Garcia who delivered our district's mobile iPad lab to us and not only did she deliver it to us, she spent some time walking us through the basics (how do you turn it on?), to showing us some really cool apps. People started to get excited and off they went with their new little best friends clad in white vinyl. Next I need to give a huge thanks to the staff at Blair and in particular to their principal, Mark Hoath, who took all of the iPads we have (all 27 of them), and offered to sync them all for us. What a world of difference that has made for us as now all of the iPads have the same apps. I know, I know, that is what syncing does; there really isn't anything magical to it. Let me tell you, there is magic at work here.
Once we got them back. we were able to start using them. And, staff were also able to take them home again and get to know some of the new apps.
I decided I would be bold and continue on my journey and try out the iPads with the classes I take to the computer lab. Again, there was magic at work. When these students get a hold of their own device, it really is a lovely thing to see; they just jumped right in and figured out what to do! They were like little word explorers, boldly striking forth with both curiousity and confidence, happy to welcome any new challenge that came along. Their squeals of excitement that came from the pure joy of discovery gave me chills and made me think that maybe we are on to something here.

One of the most dreaded moments as a principal is when you have to announce that it is an inside day. Everyone, students and staff alike dread these words as we know it generally means our 45 minute lunch can feel like a 3 hour lunch. Students typically don't know what to do with themselves, which means they can often wreak havoc. This week I had to make the dreaded announcement and off I went to supervise in the computer lab which we open as a place of refuge during wet rainy lunch days. This day was different; this day I said students could either use the desktop computers, or..... iPads!!!
Many students asked for the iPads and then realized that they had nowhere to sit as many students were sitting in front of computers occupying that space. When I pointed out that all they really needed was a chair, they formed these little mixed grade groupings to explore the devices; what an amazing sight to see!

Now, I know I haven't really talked about any great educational applications (yet), but that will come soon. I was just so pleased with the enthusiasm and excitement I saw when we put these devices in even the smallest hands. The students are marching back to class thrilled with what they have done and that which I had very little part in creating. My next hope is that more of our teachers will catch the enthusiasm and take some baby steps on their own journeys.


No comments:

Post a Comment