Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Starting to say good-bye

My First Terry Fox Run-2007
About six weeks ago, I had the difficult task of telling the staff, students and parents at my school that I would be moving to a new school for the next school year. I felt sick as I was telling people and saw the sad eyes looking back at me. I know the school will be fine, and the new principal will be loved by all, and I will very soon be a distant memory, but I'm still sad and my reasons for feeling sad are actually quite selfish. I am sad because I feel like this school is my home; I love coming here everyday, I really do. This is the school where I became a principal.
When I arrived at the school 5 years ago, I had the title of principal but I didn't know what that really meant and I now I am beginning to learn what it is to be a principal and I have the community here at Thompson to thank for teaching me how to be and guiding me when I forget. I have had enormous challenges here and I have learned how to brave, to stick by what I believe and to really realize that what we do everyday is about building and maintaining relationships. If children feel loved and cared for (I believe these are two different things), then they will learn and they will be happy. Over the next few weeks, I will share my memories and my gratitude. In my head, I am beginning to make the transition to my new school, my heart will follow soon.

Kes and Emerson-2007-They Are Now Both in Grade 6

No comments:

Post a Comment